Thursday, November 6, 2008

5th Destination - (Antarctica...)

AaaaHhhh I just went to ANTARCTICA –

Wow, that sounds really weird, although I guess that it WAS really weird. It was absolutely freezing, but it was the most amazing experience ever! It was so fun - I mean you would think that there would be nothing to do down there in Antarctica, but there was heaps to do... whether it was just standing there awestruck by the gorgeous scenery!




The animals there - well where do we start... the animals usually living in Antarctica are cold-adapted animals, some include; - Fur Seals AND - Penguins. (They were sooo cute!!!) There are also mosses, lichen and algae. These plants are also cold-adapted plants. Today when I went to Antarctica it was about -27'C. Freezing I Know... I could hardly take everything in - which is why I decided to make a few changes to my trip, I decided to stay in Antarctica for 4 days - it makes my trip a little delayed but I guess the Great Barrier Reef is still gonna be there by the time I'm finished here in Antarctica... That way I get to explore more of this beautiful Continent.





Oh yeah! By the way some of you may not know - I mean I'm 24 and I only just found out - that Antarctica is a Continent... Well there you go, you learn something new every day! The overall area of Antarctica = 14 000 000km2,
Ice-free areas = 280 000km2,
Ice-covered areas = 13 720 000km2.
The ice covered areas of Antarctica are normally around 1.6kmin thickness.

Antarctica as most people probably know already is located in the Southern Hemisphere; it is surrounded by the Southern Ocean. Here is a map to show you:


Well I guess I'll talk to you in around 4 days...
When I get to go and visit the Great Barrier Reef!
Luv aBie
xoxox

No comments: